Monday, May 01, 2006

Judging the Distance

One of the things we talk about in my karate class is judging the distance between yourself and your opponent. You have to adjust your technique and execution depending on how far away from or close to your opponent you are. Sometimes, you are too close to your opponent, so you don't have space to make a move. In that case you need to create some distance by stepping back or to the side or something.
Being that I am still only a white belt, I find all of this very difficult. which isn't so bad. I'm learning and growing. But I seem to have a similiar problem in the real world of my life. Judging the distance: How close am I really to my Mom, my crazy big sister, my out of town buddies, my next door neighbor? How close do I want to be? If I push ppl out of my personal space, am I pushing them too far away? If I act with respect and maybe affection, am i letting ppl get too close? If I give a little, will they expect more next time?
sometimes I know. But sometimes I get confused. How do you know where you stand in all the different relationships with all the differnt ppl in your life?

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger kaenahora said...

No one likes to be vulnerable and when you get close enough to someone they see how human you are. In any event, we definately do not see each other enough, but it was fun singing folk songs with you last night. check out my blog at kaenahora.blogspot.com, as with yours, it is fledgling.
Adios

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Sounds like your karate lessons will pay off. If everyone could judge the distance so well, we'd all be black belts. Hopefully your journey in the martial arts will be applicable to all aspects of your life. If I recall correctly from the Karate Kid, that is the whole point of karate to begin with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home